Refrigerated Trucking in California

Refrigerated Trucking Companies
August 6, 2013
LTL (Less Than Load) vs FTL (Full Truckload)
August 27, 2013

There were many changes in the trucking industry in 2013. These changes have had a diverse affect on companies of all sizes. Everything from hours of service (HOS) to California issuing the TRU, ATCM (13 CCR §2477). One of the most common questions we hear from customers, freight forwarders, shippers and manufacturers is regarding the ARM requirements for refrigerated trucking in California. The state has issued some pretty big fines for companies not in Eco Friendly Trucking Company compliance and are making examples of them. We have a brief explanation of the requirement below  but highly recommend you check the state of California’s website for a complete listing of this  requirement. This is a requirement by all companies residing in the state of California.


The goal here was to increase the quality of air and reduce the amount of air pollution. Diesel exhaust is a mixture of thousands of gases and fine particles that contains more than 40 identified TAC’s. These have been known to contain many known or suspected caner-causing substances such as benzene, arsenic and formaldehyde. California states that because of the emissions to the air and its potency, diesel PM is the number one contributor to the adverse health impacts of TAC’s known today.

TRU means the refrigerated systems powered by integral internal combustion engines designed to control the environment of temperatures sensitive products that are transported in trucks, trailers, rail cars, and shipping containers. TRU’s may be capable fo both cooling and heating.

The TRU ATCM applies to owners and operators of diesel-fueled TRU’s and TRU generator sets that operate in California. regardless of whether they are registered in or outside the state. This includes all carriers that transport perishable goods using diesel-powered refrigeration systems on trucks, trailers, shipping containers and rail cars that operate in California.

Owners of TRU’s based in California are required to register their TRU’s by applying for an ARB IDN for each TRU.

For more information on any of these new rules or how they can affect your pricing and delivery feel free to give us a call.  We’ll be glad to answer any questions you have.